Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Southwest roasted salad

I have done so many wonderful variations on the roasted romaine salad since I learned how to do it, that I figured I'd share a few delicious and easy (I don't have to mention healthy, you know that if you're reading about it on my blog, it's healthy.)

Mexican inspired roasted romaine salad: This is a single serving. But it should easily double or quadruple to suit your needs.

Cut, rinse, dry, and roast the romaine just like the previous salad. I sprinkled a bit of chipotle powder and garlic powder along with the salt, pepper, and olive oil. Just to keep the mexican theme flowing.

Now for the thing that makes this different: the corn.

In a saucepan, get about a teaspoon of olive oil heating up with a shake or two of chipotle powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Once it's nice and hot, and you are smelling the spices really well, add about 2/3 of frozen corn. If you have an onion, go ahead and chop it up and add it at this point as well. Saute everything until it is hot and smelling fabulous. This is when I add about a quarter of a cup of hot salsa to the mix. I let it cook for a couple more minutes to get some of the water out.

In the meantime, take two tablespoons of light sour cream and mix in about 1/4 of a teaspoon of chipotle powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper, a bit of skim milk to make it somewhat salad dressing consistency, and then let it sit in the bottom of your serving bowl, in the fridge, until the other ingredients are all prepared. You could also add a little salsa to it to thin it out and add a little extra zest.

Now it's time to plate it all up. I put the romaine in first, and mix it up with the dressing in the bottom until it's nice and mixed. Then I put the corn on the top. You can garnish with cilantro for a bit of flair! Delicious!


Mexican Inspired Roasted salad


1 heart of romaine, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed, and dried
2/3 cup of frozen corn
1 small onion
1/4 cup hot salsa
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon light sour cream
cilantro for garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment