Thursday, June 28, 2012

"Milkshake" obsession

I knocked over 6 other glasses, two containers of soap, a teapot, and a clock to get to this tall, clear glass in the picture. Then I stepped on some sort of unknown berries that are always appearing on our deck outside to get the mint garnish. I suffered for this picture. Enjoy it.

In all seriousness, you really have to try this recipe. There are alterations GALORE, so feel free to explore, and make it your own. This is MY own favorite ever. Yes, maybe even favorite food. You know, for the time being anyway.

It's healthy, decently low calorie, a good combination of carbs, protein, and fats, and it is cheap and easy. Did I mention the taste is TO DIE FOR?? Because it is. It can also be vegan if you sub the milk for almond milk or some other substitute and you change the whey protein to soy protein. I'm pretty sure the results will still be ridiculously wonderful, any way you slice it. I am currently continually on the search for those bags of cheap, overly ripe bananas for slicing and freezing, because I'm pretty sure we go through about 10-15 bananas a week these days, between Steve and me.

I call this my "workout shake," but who am I kidding?? It's 9:00 at night, I worked out 3 hours ago, and I'm craving a snack that won't make me mad at myself later on. Enter this shake. I'm pretty sure there isn't an appliance in my house more used than my lovely Martha Stewart blue Kitchenaid blender. (Thanks, mom! :D) Anyway, here's the recipe.

Choco-peanut butter banana bliss:

118 grams (one medium) banana- chopped and frozen

2 tbsp PB 2 Chocolate (this is a wonderful product available on amazon, with 85% fewer calories and fat than peanut butter, but if you don't have it/don't want to use it then use regular peanut butter. No sweat.)

1/4 cup whey protein. I use half Bob's Red Mill whey concentrate unflavored and half my husband's cheap protein that's cookies and cream flavored. I don't like using much of his because it makes me bloated (thanks, creatine!) but a little adds something to the shake. Plain or vanilla or chocolate protein or leave it out completely if you like will also work nicely.

1 cup milk of your choice

1 tbsp flax seeds, because I'm a health nut vegetarian, and I'm sure I'm not getting enough Omega 3's. ;)

Blend the dry ingredients with the milk until smooth and then add the banana and blend until smooth and creamy. It will be just like a milkshake, thick and slurpy! Garnish however you like.. or slurp it down like a kid. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment