Friday, April 9, 2010

The day I almost gave up the challenge...

Ok, I'm not 100% serious about this.. but this is the day I started getting behind. I'm still 2 poems behind, but if I get them both done today, as planned, I'll be all caught up. Don't judge me.. I did follow the prompt...eventually. And the poem ended up a little bitter, if I do say so myself. But you know, as I was writing this one, yesterday (oh hush...) I realized that the poem just wouldn't work without this last line. It would be blah, blah, blah, blah without it. I actually wrote the whole poem, minus the last line much earlier than the last line..I let it sit and marinate..and I was two seconds from throwing it out when it hit me like a bolt of lightning. Now the poem works, I thought.. But only now, that the ending is so bitter.



04/07/2010: Until ______

Until I Get It Right

My fingers, long and inarticulate
Press down hard on each silken string
Again and again, until I get it right

The song is so simple it makes me hurt
A tack in my foot, a splinter in my pride
I’ll play it again and again, until I get it right

Then it happens, that one perfect change
I run over the notes with ease
Where before I always faltered

Now I’m master of these strings
Master of my universe, my life
Until I fuck up the ending, like always

No comments:

Post a Comment